Wednesday, June 17, 2009

crockpot - party of gen


Two happy words effective enough to change one's mood entirely, especially if that person, as of late, has been stuck in The Rut of Impossible Proportions: Trader Joe’s.

Distance, or lack of convenience, has made my heart grow euphorically fond of the every day/specialty food market, what with their colorful chalkboards, low sodium soups, sweet potted succulents, pre-washed romaine leaves, lentils, and 72% cocoa bars in the check-out line. I’ve been missing TJ’s ever since my move. When I pushed my red cart through the door, my euphoria grew, and so on auto-pilot I shopped with two things in mind: my assembly-required trail mix (roasted almonds, lightly salted cashews, roasted pistachios, dried cranberries and bing cherries) and my recently-acquired crock pot.

As I’ve been told how handy these can be, I picked one up the other day and have been looking forward to trying my trade at “chopping” and “tossing.” Really – that’s all it takes, and the slow cooker does the rest for you. Case in point:

After lugging approximately 800 lbs of groceries up three flights of stairs (I’m never one to make two trips – ever), I took to the chopping board. Think: chicken breast, asparagus, mushrooms, one ripe and juicy heirloom tomato, basil, olive oil, sea salt and pepper, a squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkle of shredded parmesan.

Mmm.
[Crock pot recipes, here.]

1 comment:

Allie said...

Yummm! I recently was given a crockpot but I always forget I have it so I haven't used it yet. I'm thinking of doing slow-cooked pork so I can make carnitas tacos. !!!!